Thank you for your interest in applying for the 2018 NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE). The 2018 program will be held at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Florida, November 25-28th, and will include a Jazz Ensemble, Mixed Choir, Symphony Orchestra, Concert Band, and Guitar Ensemble.
The cost to participate in the 2018 NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles is $850.00 per student. This fee includes housing (2 per room for all students), meals, and bus transportation to and from the Orlando airport (MCO). In addition to the $850.00 fee, the student is responsible for their own airfare to and from MCO.
Requirements to Audition
- Be in grades 9, 10 or 11 during the 2017-2018 school year.
- Attend school in one of the fifty states of the United States, the District of Columbia, or a Department of Defense School.
- Be a member of his or her school’s choral, string, guitar, or instrumental ensemble during the 2018-2019 school year corresponding with the ensemble for which application is made.
- Ensemble director must be a current member of NAfME.
- Be accepted to their state’s 2017-2018 All-State Festival.
- In the case of guitar, many states do not have an All-State Guitar Ensemble. Students who participate in their school’s guitar ensemble program are permitted to apply.
- If there isn’t an All-State Festival held during the 2017-2018 academic year, the 2016-2017 Division Festival will be acceptable (Northwest Division).
- If your state Music Education Association (MEA) does not sponsor the All-State Festival, the state MEA will determine which students are eligible to receive an invitation to apply.
- The final determination of eligibility for the All-National Honor Ensembles (ANHE) program is made by the student’s state Music Education Association (MEA). Please reach out to your state MEA with eligibility questions.
- Some states may require that students are both selected AND perform in their All-State. Students must follow the directive of their individual state MEA with regard to participation.
- Students who fail to comply with their individual state requirements will not be eligible to participate in the NAfME All-National Honor Ensembles program.
- You are required to upload an unedited and unaccompanied video performing the REQUIRED REPERTOIRE for your instrument or voice part.
- Woodwind, Brass, and Percussion are automatically considered for both Concert Band and Symphony Orchestra.
- Please note, there is an option for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, and Mixed Choir students to upload an additional 2-minute video. This may be a piece of your choosing and may be accompanied or unaccompanied. You could use this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency on an auxiliary instrument. This second video is not required.
- This must be a VIDEO audition.
The NAfME Electronic Music Composition Competition recognizes outstanding compositions and highlights the effectiveness of music technology in the school curriculum. Entries will be judged based on their aesthetic quality, use of electronic media, and the power of the composition.
Association member adjudicators will select a winner in each of the following categories:
- Grades K-8
- Grades 9-12
- Each entrant must be sponsored by an NAfME member teacher, or be a NAfME Collegiate member in good standing.
- Compositions should be 5 minutes or less and should either be composed electronically or include electronic instruments (vocal and/or acoustic instruments may be combined with electronic instruments)
NAfME is seeking original music written by student composers for featured performance in the Young Composers Concert. Teachers and students are invited to submit original compositions by students for possible inclusion in the concert. Students in elementary school, secondary school, college, and graduate school are eligible to submit compositions.
Compositions may also be submitted for specific chamber instrumentation and may be eligible for performance at the Young Composers Concert and a cash award. Compositions submitted that fall outside of the concert band or chamber instrumentation guidelines will be adjudicated but will not be eligible for awards or for performance.
Up to ten winning composers will receive cash awards, thanks to the generous support of the European American Musical Alliance (Dr. Philip Lasser, president) and the Double R Foundation. All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
All entrants will receive written evaluations of their compositions.
Entrants will be notified of the winners by e-mail during the week of July 2.